The Kidde 10SCO (AKA Kidde KID10SCO) is the second most popular combination Smoke & CO alarm in the UK after the Nest Protect, but personally I think the 10SCO offers better value for money if you don't already use the Nest Thermostat.
It's also worth noting that the Kidde brand sells more carbon monoxide detectors worldwide than any other brand - you really can rely on Kidde.
The 10SCO is designed so that it can be mounted either on the ceiling. or on a wall. I recommend mounting it on the wall at about eye level - this makes it much easier to reach and operate.
Kidde 10SCO Features
It has all the key features you need in a combination smoke and CO alarm including the ability to tell you whether it is detecting a smoke or carbon monoxide problem - if both occur at the same time then the smoke alarm takes precedence.
Uses a front centre-loaded 9v battery - this means it will continue working if mains power fails.
Has both an alarm horn and voice alarm to tell you what the threat is.
The voice can read back the peak CO levels since the last reset.
You can silence nuisance alarms (such as when you burn your toast) by pressing the Hush/Test/Reset button.
The same button can be used to run a self diagnostic text to ensure it's in good working order.
You can also reset its memory of peak CO levels.
It comes with a 10 year manufacturer warranty.
Here is a list of the things that the 10SCO can say:
- "FIRE! FIRE!"
- "WARNING! CARBON MONOXIDE"
- "Caution, carbon monoxide previously detected"
- "Hush Mode Activated"
- "Hush Mode Cancelled"
- "Low Battery"
British Standards Institution
The Kidde 10SCO has been tested by the BSI and received the follow certifications:
- Carbon Monoxide: BSI certified to EN50291-1:2010
- Smoke: BSI certified to EN14604:2005
- Meets the requirements for use by Landlords in the UK.
- Usually selling for under £25 makes it inexpensive when compared to the £89 Nest Protect.
- It will continue to operate during a power blackout - this can be a time of heightened risk when fossil fueled emergency heating and lighting is often used.
- Its 10 year limited warranty lasts for the entire life of the unit.
- Doesn't have the added features accessible by smart phone or tablet, or the ability to turn off appliances in an emergency, like the Nest Protect does.
- The 9v battery needs to be replaced periodically - the voice unit will repeatedly say "Low Battery" when this is needed.
The Kidde 10SCO is one of the most practical and cost effective combination Smoke & CO detectors currently available for residential use by either home owners or landlords.
Please ensure you have enough alarms to protect your entire home - more than one are needed in the vast majority of dwellings - see Places within the home where CO Detectors must be installed.